Subject: [Leica] shadows in portraits (was Re: IMG: my Aunt and her Husband)
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the lug)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:47:17 -0500

Shadows are the way we see things, the way we recognize people and they have
meaning beyond that, knowing the preconceptions that come with the amount
and placement of shadows is one of the things that photographers are (more
or less) paid to know. But breaking those conventions is also the
responsibility of a photographer because shadows and posing can do things
like re-enforce gender stereotypes.

I came across a website a few years back -- someone here will remember whos
-- of this guy who's done a bunch of presidential portraits. he had a behind
the scenes of photographing ronald reagan -- he  just sat him close to a
wall and put one small softbox about six inches from the President's face,
aimed at a 45 degree angle and zing -- that was it. lots of dark shadows,
wrinkles, drama and greatness. Power, mystery.

It was probably with this in the back of my head that I lit novelist
Victoria Janssen with one small Photek softlighter II

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/victoria-janssen.jpg

kc