Subject: [Leica] CV Ultra-wide Heliar (12mm) 6-bit coding on M9
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 06:38:57 +0000

I have not played around much with the coding but have not been that
successful when I did. I quickly learned that, apart from having the "right"
info in the EXIF file, just setting the same focal length as one of the
Leica lenses is no guarantee of anything.
On reflection it seems likely that the colour correction required is
dependant on the position of the exit pupil of the lens (hence the angle of
rays through the IR filter). This is entirely lens design dependant and the
focal length is only part of it, the 12mm CV lens has an exit pupil
-further- from the plane of focus than their 15mm lens, for example, so the
15 behaves like a shorter focal length than the 12 in this respect.
The amount of vignetting correction is also design dependant, with
symmetrical lenses having more inherent vignetting than retrofocus, but both
varying in detail following the exact optical design.
Anyway it seems to me unlikely for -any- of the Leica lens profiles to
exactly match the requirements of 3rd party manufactured lenses.
Cornerfix seems an altogether more practical solution if precise
compensation is the goal...
In my case the vignetting doesn't bother me as much as the colour shift
because I am used to it anyway!
cheers,
FD