Subject: [Leica] Dauphin Island Audubon Bird Sanctuary
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:25:38 -0500

Careful, that place is a toxic soup of oil and Corexit, which when
combined create a very efficient petroleum delivery system into your
biology.  The point of dispersion (other then making everything look
good on the surface) is to solubilize the hydrocarbons into micelle
structures to increase the bioavailability in the hopes that bacteria
will munch it up faster, (a dubious proposition at best).  This also
greatly increases the bioavailability for all species including
humans, but, unlike the bacteria, we don't metabolize the hydrocarbon
micelle particles well and they just hang around in our systems
causing havoc.  One might argue, well it's all in the sea so why do
us land lovers need to be concerned?  Well, for the same reason we
like to use protective filters when photographing at the
beach,  aerosol size particles are being whipped-up by the wind and
weather and reaching shore.  Precipitation rains these particles on
our heads.  Simply, it doesn't stay in the water not by any stretch
of the imagination.  I would predict a wide exposure scenario all
across the Gulf.  The level of illness is always very variable and
looks like cold and flu symptoms that are mostly misdiagnosed as
such, or as psychological.  The most telltale sign is becoming
oversensitive to odors or chemicals which didn't bother you before.
Best to find a occupational physician if you have recurring flue-like
symptom.  A blood-test for hydrocarbons will reveal the
problem.      Folks are still ill (and mostly dead) from the Valdez
and Prestige oil spill Corexit clean-up experiments.  I wouldn't
expect much wildlife out there for a decade at least.  Stay out of the water.

Chris