Subject: [Leica] DMR or Nikon D700 and Leitax adapters
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:06:56 +0800

> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:50:28 +0000
> From: <vick.ko at sympatico.ca>
> Subject: [Leica] So - DMR or Nikon D700 and Leitax adapters?
>
> I know Tina Manley got a new DRM recently.  Is it going well, with the DMR?
>
> There is a DMR on the 'bay for sale, in Canada, and GAS urges are erupting
> again.
>
> But, is it better to get a Nikon D700 and a bag of Leitax adapters, than
> an R9 and DMR, in terms of image and file quality?  The crop factor
> doesn't bother me that much.  And I do own two Leica lenses that will be
> incompatible with the Nikon.
>
> But I perceive that the D700 will have better longevity than the DMR.  Is
> that a false perception?
>
> ....Vick

Hi Vick,
I think the people that have the DMR, Tina, Gene, Doug, and others, all
swear by it. Picture quality is outstanding and Leica lenses work in auto
diaphragm mode meaning you can focus wide open and then have the diaphragm
auto close to the working aperture as you push the shutter button. That is a
big deal especially with long lenses that have limited depth of field. But,
if you don't have a DMR, like me, and have invested in the D700 and leitax,
then that choice seems to make more sense and has better future prospects.
The D700 low light, high ISO performance is simply stunning and Leica lenses
draw very well on the D700 sensor but you don't have the auto diaphragm
feature and the focus confirmation arrows point opposite to the direction of
barrel turning which takes some getting used to. For me, the sealed
construction of the D700 is better than the Canon 5D (which also has non
linear exposure issues with R lenses) - witness my dusty pictures from last
year's tiger shoot in India with Jayanand.
For what you have in your lens inventory it seems to me that the DMR might
be a good choice for you. Let us know what happens.
Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] DMR or Nikon D700 and Leitax adapters)