Subject: [Leica] Friday Night CPW City Flower
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:14:49 -0500

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/101119_194235.jpg.html

Friday night a few nights ago I was walking down Central Park West by the
Planetarium in the early evening with my 50mm f1.8 on my new D700 still
getting used to my new camera and new format which for me is really a new
lease on life.

"City tree's just seem to find out early" Seems to be the ongoing theme as I
don't pass flowers any more since this Lug Gallery started for me without
clicking one if they are at all interesting. I didn't shoot them much
before. My loss. Flowers out of context. Flowers lost and alone. I'm liking
stuff like that now.
I just loaded this on to my laptop and its really grabbing me so here it is.
Normally I like to see it a few weeks later and then know its good.

I'm at Aperture priority 1/80 s at f/2.8 mode.
When my camera meter system needs more than a 80th of a second the iso goes
up instead. And I'm stopped down one to f2.8 so sharpen up any focus or
optical errors. In most my shooting over the years I've liked to stop down
two. Which is what most schools I think tell you to do. I've done it anyway.
And here this is night shooting. Where you'd think maybe you'd need go just
have it wide open and be there.

A big difference between shooting full frame now and cropped before is the
shutter default I set it on now I  usually get. Night shooting before I'd
never get it. Unless I was shooting a bright shop window. I'd be in "aim and
pray" mode most of the dark time.

Now I do. And stopped down one or two.
If you said this would be happening a couple of years ago I'd have called
you liar.

The punch line is the camera only asked for iso 3600.
Way below its topped out setting of 6400 which I'm now often shooting at.
Instead of a measly 1600 cropped. And 6400 now gives me much better results
than my topped out 1600 in my deep dark cropped past. From which I will
never return unless the camera is the size of a Rollei 35 and my honeymoon
with my D700 is far from over.

To me its interesting how it about does not look like a night picture but
day.
And the amazing variety of light sources making for all kinds of color casts
and cross overs that you just don't get during the day; unless something is
horribly wrong. It used to me that with film with exposures over a second
you'd get all kinds of surprise colors from reciprocity failure of the
various layers but they fixed that in the early 90's. And the digital
sensors in the 2000's were fixed even better. I bet that phony software
which imitates various films don't account for that. The kids who came up
with the algorithms had no memory of those days. When night shooting meant
all kinds of nifty surprises.

Oh! CPW means Central Park West.
Only real cool people know that.

Mark William Rabiner