Subject: [Leica] AARRGGHHH!!
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:07:41 -0600

On 11/22/2010 6:04 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> LUG:
>
> I will admit to you, the LUG, how frustrated I am with my photos of the
> Grand Canyon.  I think I posted that I used up several batteries in the M9
> too fast as we descended into the canyon.  I turned off the preview and
> saved lots of battery time and reviewing time; HOWEVER, as I discovered
> when
> I started to review all of my photos at home, my 24 Elmarit had a huge
> smudge on the bottom of the lens.  I didn't notice it at the time (and
> might
> not have even with the preview), but it is very obvious in the photos.
>   Unfortunately, I also decided to simplify and use only one lens on the M9
> all the way down -  the 24.  Therefore, the only photos on the way down
> that
> I'm giving good ratings to are the M8 ones, with the 12 CV and 35/1.4.
>   Luckily, I changed to the 21/2.8 on the M9 on the way back up.
>
> You can see the effect of the smudge in the center bottom of this photo:
> http://www.pbase.com/image/130559291
>
> <http://www.pbase.com/image/130559291>Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>   I've tried Clarity in LR and it doesn't do a thing.  Is it hopeless?
>
> Tina

My condolences but I am at least heartened that professionals can do
this also.  I had some photos last weekend that I liked, but I
accidentally changed the "mode" dial to shutter value, and wound up with
a bunch of photos at f/45 and such, all goners.  So now to tape the dial
down.  The worst was a road trip to southern Utah and Death Valley.  The
first photo was a portrait of my spouse in Utah, with my Linhof 4x5
Technica.  When I put the dark slide back in, the film popped out of the
film holder into the camera.  No prob, I removed the back, took out the
sheet of film and reshot.  The rest of the trip had some of the best
light I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, when I got back all the images
were OOF.  Long story short, it is possible to put the back on the
camera backwards, the image on the ground glass looks fine, but the film
is just out of the plane of focus.  I left my Polaroid back at home to
save weight........

Ken

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] AARRGGHHH!!)