Subject: [Leica] ReadyNAS Questions.....
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:35:51 -0800

Frank Filippone writes:
 > Thanks John.. got it now.....
 >
 > Daniel, that you too for your inputs.....
 >
 > I am surprised at comments about the way the data is stored on disk.....
 > that it is proprietary to Netgear....
 > I guess the solution, if the problem is that the device dies, but he
 > drives
 > are all OK, is to buy another Netgear NAS and insert the drives and not
 > lose
 > sleep?

<soapbox>

Repeat after me:

   RAID is not a substitute for backups.

</soapbox>

RAID devices are a great way to get larger hunks of storage and avoid
the inconvenience of a drive dying here and there (and they *will*),
but they're not a substitute for backups.  Pour a cup of coffee into
the top and you'll loose the entire thing.  Power surge zaps two
drives and you're toast.  Power hiccup at an inconvenient moment
causes the software to scribble a bit of gibberish onto all of the
disks and *poof*.

g.