Subject: [Leica] ReadyNAS Questions.....
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:43:28 -0800

Frank Filippone writes:
 > I am about ready to (finally) purchase one of these babies, but first some
 > questions....
 > Hoping some of you out there have experience....
 >
 > Which RAID format should I use?  Raid I, 2,etc....  Is this setting done
 > during setup of the box  on my computer?
 >
 > Is there a preference for the NV models or the Ultra series?  Why?
 >
 > Note: Windows platform, Vista 32 bit OS

Are you buying it "disks included" or are you buying one naked and
adding your own.

If you're buying disks separately, you should get disks that are
designed to run in a RAID, 24x7.  They cost a bit more but you'll be
happier in the long run.

In particular, avoid the Western Digital green drives, they have a
couple of features that don't play well with RAID configurations.  In
particular, when they encounter an IO error they can take many, many
seconds to deal with it, which causes the RAID device to mark them
dead.  That'll force the device to rebuild (hopefully another drive
won't have a problem in the process or you'll loose the entire thing),
you'll need to figure out if the drive is "really" dead or just
playing possum, etc....

g.