Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:57:07 -0800

Since my laptop is my main work computer at present, I upgraded a
couple of months ago to a very nice Macbook Pro 17" with i7
processor. All that is good, but the main reason I upgraded from my
2.16 MHz 15" MacBook Pro was to be able to install more RAM.

My architectural work generally doesn't need lots of RAM or processor
speed, but it does need screen real estate. Only rarely do I do any
3D rendering which stretches my resources.

However, for photography the situation is different. My one LR
library that sits on this machine contains 120,000 photos and the
other contains 50,000 plus. I started off on the new machine with 4Gb
of RAM, and then installed another 4Gb. The difference between the 4
and 8Gb was as great as the difference between the earlier machine
with 3Gb and the new machine with 4Gb.

So get RAM. LR is now 64bit, so it can access and use as much RAM as
you can throw at it. This current MacBook that I have, with the
anti-glare screen is very nice to work at. When at home I plug
another 1920x1200 screen into it, which can be calibrated a bit
better than the laptop screen although this MacBook screen is quite
good and a lot better than the last one I had.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com