Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:45:00 -0800

The MacBook Pro's that topped out at 3Gb (I had one) generally have
an Expressport 34, which accepts ESATA adapters. The adapters are
relatively inexpensive and painless, but ESATA connections don't
supply power, so you have to have a) a drive that is ESATA enabled,
which precludes most 2-1/2 drive/enclosures, and you have to then
provide power from one of the USB ports if the setup is to remain
portable.

I find that firewire 800 provides a better solution, as it's powered,
in practice nearly as fast as ESATA for 2-1/2" drives and can be
daisy-chained. OWC carries a nice range of firewire drives at
reasonable prices. Just make sure to get 7200rpm drives to gain the
benefits of the faster interface.