Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:31:45 -0500

On Nov 30, 2010 at 04:29 AM -0800, Richard Man wrote:
> An ESATA won't do you any good if you don't have a ESATA connector on your
> machine. Come to think of it, I don't think any Mac has one except for the
> Mac Pro, so... go get a firewire drive, it's much faster than USB2.

Some of the Macbook Pros (17", and some of the earlier 15" I thought) have
an ExpressCard slot, or some other expansion slot on the side.  The newer
ones just have an SD card slot (thanks Apple).  Anyways, you can buy
ExpressCard eSATA card and use your eSATA drives that way.  Something to
think about if you've got the slot.  It's talked about here:
<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/11/photoshop-performance-saga.html>

Also, I'd get a backup drive before you take anymore pictures.  Seriously.
It will be a sad day when your drive goes up and you lose all of your
images.  Spend $100 and get a second external drive.  Buy something like
SuperDuper! and create a job in it where it does a smart copy of your main
drive to the second drive whenever the second drive is mounted.  Then once a
day, or once a week, or whatever, just plug in the second drive and it will
copy over the new files automatically.  Then unplug it.  If you are really
into it, buy a third drive and keep it at work.  Once a week, take the work
drive home and take the home drive to work.  That way you have another
backup that's only a week behind but in a different location.

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...)
Message from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...)