Subject: [Leica] Giving away pictures.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:30:39 -0800

Lawrence Zeitlin offered:
>>Tina, I fully agree with your position but you are not describing the
>>world
as it is. It is harder to make a decent living as an independent
professional photographer than it is as an actor or even a poet. Considering
the number of professional quality cameras out there, only the tiniest
fraction deliver pictures that are ever published. Given the quality
standards imposed by stock agencies, vanishingly few P&S pictures will ever
make the grade regardless of merit unless of a particularly newsworthy
event.<<<<<<

Hi Larry,
My reaction to people who give their photos away just for a credit line?
(Sorry I can't do that as my use of the language would be unbearable!) Trust
me!

I'm constantly asked for images and the first thing I ask is .... "HOW MUCH
DO YOU PAY?"  If they reply "we don't." Then I ask them if they get a weekly
salary or do you work for free?" Obviously the response is.. "Of course I
get a weekly salary!" My response is.. "Wonderful! Then why the hell do you
think I should work for free when you want one of my photographs?"

I rarely cut anyone slack who will be using a photo for any kind of monetary
return or advertising of any kind! No matter what or who it is.

The head person of most major fund raising organizations and senior staff
members  "ARE PAID!" So why should I or anyone give the picture free when
it's going to be used to raise maybe millions of dollars? Yeah I know I've
heard all the reasons why! But then why should the CEO get paid... Yes of
course some of these people are extremely wealthy and or have gazillions of
dollars and can easily afford to work for nothing.  But the everyday working
photographer doesn't have that kind of money.

I make a yearly donation to the Canadian Cancer Society of $500.00 and a
similar donation to the Victoria Hospital Foundation without a blink! WHY?
Well for personal reasons due to family situations with cancer and loosing
to it. And the hospital because I've been in the hospital myself.

But, when I shoot for these people and they want use of independent
photos....... "THEY PAY ME!" Without a blink!

The new gallery I'm represented by are doing rather nicely as they're
carrying my books, and a selection of my photography. And they're doing
quite nicely as last month they sold three prints at $1000.00 each. Plus a
couple this past week for $550 each.... cowboy pictures in what one might
call a "Fine Art" classification. And this is the first time I've been
represented by a gallery. So I'm quite happy with the siutation.

Oh and who are these two guys?
>>And forget about B&W unless your last name is Adams or Weston.

And my above mentioned  sales?   They have all been B&W! :-) Maybe I could
hang a long side this two chaps. ;-) Who were they again? I do believe a
couple of rock & fern shooters?

>>> So if a photographer is offered an opportunity to have his/her pictures
> published in a national forum, grab at the chance. Even if there is no
> payment. It may be the only way to get recognition in an overcrowded
> field. Isn't that why we produce the LUG yearbook?<<<<<<<

That isn't why I submit to the LUG YEAR book! I submit because I hope to be
along side a group of fun loving photogs who enjoy each others friendship,
camaraderie and neat photos! I sure as hell don't submit for recognition,
it's for fun! In all the years that recognition thing never ever entered my
head!

 If I give a photograph away it's usually for personal use to hang in a home
of a friend. Any others? Pay me! I don't do free nor recognition for a
credit line very well!

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Giving away pictures.)