Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:43:33 -0600

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at
gmail.com>wrote:

> After I wrote my little polemic, I came across this article by Ken
> Rockwell.

That's all pretty true, though I did pretty good in pay and benefits wise in
the sixties and seventies as a union (IBEW) TV photographer for  network
stations in New Orleans.

I did about four years of fulltime freelance that I combined writing and
photography, but I never really wanted to be a pure freelance shooter.  In
that time, I made a reasonable living, but it was a crazy time keeping the
cash flow stable.

I remember one time when a major oil company was threatening to cut off my
gas credit card because I was behind $90.  The problem was that same company
owed me nearly $3000 for photography and was taking their sweet time
paying.  Go figure.

Since 1992, I've worked for the University and confined my freelance work to
editorial, since commercial work would involve paperwork with the State of
Louisiana. The freelance is usually enough to finance a nice Leica goodie a
year.

--
Regards,

Sonny