Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:10:41 -0500

After I wrote my little polemic, I came across this article by Ken Rockwell.
He says it better than I could.
Larry Z
- - - - - -

*Professional Photography*

Ken Rockwell

Would you like to photograph anything you want, anywhere you want, anytime
you want, any way you want, with a great professional camera system? Would
you love to travel to luxury destinations and photograph whatever, whenever
you want?

*The only way to do this is to keep your real job and do photography on your
own time.*

If you want to photograph professionally you'll make less money, have to
shoot the boring stuff in crappy
locations<http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/crappylocations.htm>for
which you're hired, shoot it the way the client wants, and probably
have
to shoot everything as if it's some big emergency every time. You'll
probably only be able to afford beat up old gear that's "good enough."

Making a buck in photography is a lot tougher than keeping a real job. The
photo jobs and locations that pay the most are the most boring. Think you're
going to have people hiring you as a travel photographer? Guess again.

It's *exactly* like golf or surfing. Golf is fun, and it's almost impossible
to get people to pay you to do it. Only one guy in ten million makes lots of
money in surfing, photography or acting. Everyone else who makes the money
does it in something allied to the field, like making or selling product or
the dream.

We all know the few actors who pull in $20 million per movie. Did you know
the average annual income of the many SAG <http://www.sag.org/> (Screen
Actors' Guild) members, the majority of whom we've never heard, is something
more like $20,000? The SAG website's FAQ page offers this advice on how to
become a performer: *"Develop another career to supplement your
income."*People pay photographers less than actors.

A person who studied stage lighting in college and worked in Hollywood
discovered that almost no one makes it in the fun job of lighting. The
people who make more money more regularly are those who become lighting
salesmen.

Who makes more: an actor, or an agent who earns 10% from each of the 20
clients they represent?

If you want to make money in photography, it's probably not by doing
photography.

You can become a super star photographer, but it's all in your
self-promotion and luck. If you want it hard enough you can do it. In
America you can do anything you can imagine, however if you want to make
money and have fun making photos there are easier ways to live.

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Making a living as a photographer)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Making a living as a photographer)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Making a living as a photographer)