Subject: [Leica] IMG: Maloca
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 21:09:13 +0000

Dear All,

This summer I spent four weeks in Colombia, one week working and the
remainder visiting the extended family or travelling with my immediate
family - wife, eight year old son and father-in-law.  Photographic
opportunities were not abundant as security concerns restrict the kind of
street photography I normally do.  However, in Amazonas we were able to be a
bit freer.  As a plant scientis,t with research interests in cassava, I was
delighted to come across the local production of farinha.  Of more general
interest, we were invited by an indian community leader, Gustavo, to visit
his maloca in the forest.  Getting there was quite an adventure as our
driver dropped us where the 4x4 could get no further and we had to wait for
a guide to lead us through to the maloca - an enormous communal house in a
clearing.  There after being refreshed with some home made chicha we were
taken to the river, during the walk Gustavo waxed lyrical about plants, the
indian's relationship with nature and the destructive nature of the white
man - in his enthusiasm he kept slipping out of Spanish into his own
language, which made it difficult to follow.  In the river Gustavo and I sat
up to our necks in the water sorting the world's problems out while my
little boy swam with his grand-daughter.  Back at the Maloca we were offered
his powdered tobacco (snuff) blown up our nostrils through a bone tube, I
reciprocated by blowing it up Gustavo's - my son did not like it.  Then we
each had a spoonful of powdered coca leaves with ash, by which time lunch
was ready - grilled fish wrapped in banana leaves and plantains, accompanied
with cassava bread, all washed down with home-made lemonade.  While the food
was delicious, my father in law and I drank out of politeness, my son out of
thirst, but my wife did not; wisely, as 24 hours later the men were rather
unwell!

http://www.johnbeeching.com/maloca/album/index.html

The photos:  35mm, Tri-X, Xtol.  C & C welcome.

I am always slightly amused when I read on this forum enquiries about what
equipment to take on travels: How many bodies?  Lenses?  Digital and film?
Tripod?  Etc.?  More often than not I just take my M6 with the 35mm
Summicron in a bum-bag (fanny-bag) round my waist - light, secure and
inconspicuous, and no back problems!

Yours,

John

--