Subject: [Leica] S2 success (or lack thereof)
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:48:02 +0100

Richard,

the fact is that Leica have been absolutely overwhelmed
by the success of the M9 and the S2. The are working
their wotsits off trying to catch up with an order
backlog like they've never seen before.  It doesn't
matter one iota who is buying the gear - if it is
making Leica a going concern, we can all be happy.
Leica is doing a lot of PR trying to make the S2 better
known to professionals (at least in Germany, so far)
and has, as yet, had only positive feedback - even down
to things like how long you can shoot with one battery
charge.

Maybe lots of potentates and oligarchs are buying it,
but so what - the more S2s there are out there, the
more people become aware of it and the brand, and more
will be ordered and sold.

As to the M9Ti, the book that's included with it states
clearly that it is Leica's "concept car" and has
features that could be employed in later models.

The new design is clear, simple and unostentatious -
precisely what Leicas have been right from the word go
- maybe purists don't like it, but purists even shied
away from the idea of a digital Leica R (sacrilege!!)at
first,  and when they didn't get one (R10), they all
started moaning.

Is there a better way of paying for your R+D costs? I
doubt it. A very clever move by Leica, and one that
highlights their joint sponsoring efforts with the VW
Group (and Audi as a premium brand)  e.g.
http://www.sbc2010.de/ It's pretty obvious where their
target groups are - and it's not us.

Leica are getting their products placed in the rarified
atmosphere of premium events like this and are
accessing the segments where money is no object.

Good for Leica! Their radical turnaround project has
worked (although a gamble) and the company is on a
relatively firm financial footing for what is, after
all, a very small company. They still have quite a way
to go, and I, for one, wish them well.

It is perhaps interesting to note that what turned
Leica around was the fact that they declined to produce
what Leicaphiles were asking for and went their own way
for a change.

Maybe dyed-in-the-wool Leicaphiles are what was holding
them back - now they've thrown this age-old
conservatism out of the window they seem to be back and
doing rather well.

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] S2 success (or lack thereof))