Subject: [Leica] Holiday Greetings from 1915
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 21:41:31 -0500

And when the cylinders of his "indecent jokes" were released on CD a few
years ago http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=90 NPR
couldn't play them--for fear of running afoul of the FCC!

The oratorical style, with the rounded vowels, was necessary before
electronic amplification.  After microphones appeared with the introduction
of radio and electrical recording, this style disappeared virtually
overnight.

Here are two of the most famous Shakespearean actors of the WWI era
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaxdIHU6V3k
In a style that would be risible a decade later.

Best,
Jim