Subject: [Leica] LFI: Worth it?
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 07:02:45 +1000

I must most respectfully disgree Dr T. Don't send the boys around to counsel
me!

Certainly there are many talented photographers on the LUG, not all shooting
Leica of course.
Nevertheless LFI does have quite a bit of interest on Leica Camera
specifically and quite a range of photography. Doesn't seem to me to be a
bad resource for those interested in both. But then I'm the only person I
know that does read it and fair to say that I am more intersted in Leica
Camera than most ;-)

I admit that the topics of Rolex watches, single malt, sushi, cats and
flowers receive only the sparsest coverage !! Some of those' hacks' in LFI
go to pretty interesting places though!

For objective examples I looked through the indexes for some 2010 issues for
Peter:

In Portfolios for 2010
English Mod scene. Forgotten people in Mexico's largest waste dump, long
exposures in Hamburg dock district (S2 and wide), Tibetan highlands,
children fashion dressup with M8!, BW in Nicaragua, Mexico and Cameroon, BW
essay on sapphire diggers in Madagascar, Cuba reportage. Agricultural shows
in Britain, still lifes of fish, flowers and chicken heads!,

Tech stuff
S2:
Afghanistan reportage, Summarit-S 35mm report, fashion essay,
 APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm report,

M:
Street shots, available light, Noctilux saga, (new) Summilux 35 ASPH report,

X1:
Practical impressions, development, El Raval Barcelona reportage,

V-LUX 20:
impressions/test

Photography and digital tech:
available light photography, noise reduction apps, dynamic ranges and other
digital/analog differences (series), Aperture 3, Viveza2,  35mm (lens)
competition results from 5000 images uploaded to LFI gallery, Leica
Historica, Adobe apps updates, 75 years of Kodachrome from one of its
co-inventors

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman