Subject: [Leica] 4/3 Adapters
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:56:19 -0800

I'm not Harrison either, but I find the micro 4/3 very useful and a
compliment to my M8.  I now use a Panasonic G1 for most SLR-ish things,
and when I want to shoot a quick JPG snap.

I bought the G1 for its viewfinder, rather than go for the smaller but
viewfinderless GF1.  The kit zoom is very good--slow, but better than
the kit zooms that come with most low to medium end DSLRS.  The 40/1.7
is stellar. The camera's image acuity and dynamic range are not up to
Leica M8/9 standards, but quite decent.  You can put almost any lens you
want on it.  Now, manual focusing with 3rd party lenses is dicey for
wide lenses, and it's not for fast situations.  I've used the G1 with an
Olympus OM 50/1.4 in the theatre, with good results. A few
quick-and-dirty test shots using a 50/3.5 OM macro looked promising. I
could see that the VC 50/1.5 Nokton and Summilux ASPH rendered
noticeably sharper than the 50/1.4 OM (all wide open), so the sensor can
show differences at that level.

When I went to British Columbia, Canada this summer, I took the G1, kit
zoom, 40/1.7 and my VC 90/3.5 Lanthar as a "poor man's 180" telephoto.
I was pleased with the results.  Focusing the 90 took time, but with the
10x electronic magnifier in the viewfinder, I could actually focus
*better* than with a real DSLR.  As Nathan mentions, the longer the
lens, the more "jittery" the viewfinder image becomes, which can make
focusing a slow process.  On a tripod, it would be easier. Propping your
elbows on something helps. I try to keep the shutter speed up because
the G1 has no image stabilization, perhaps the one of the Olympus m-4/3
bodies with IS would do a bit better.

The main issue was not image quality, it was shutter lag and viewfinder
blackout. If I had time to focus and the subject wasn't fast-moving, the
G1 was just fine.  Here are a few samples with the G1 and 90/3.5.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/4968558728/sizes/o/in/photostream/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/4931633772/sizes/o/in/photostream/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/4931633776/sizes/o/in/photostream/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/4995371422/sizes/o/in/photostream/>

I do have to say, though, that the real joy of micro-4/3 is when you use
the native lenses and have autofocus. Macro or telephoto with a 3rd
party lens is quite doable, but with some PITA factor. I personally
would not use a m-4/3 camera with a Leica lens as a street shooter.  As
a travel camera, with a Leica 50 or 90 for occasional telephoto work,
it's great.

--Peter