Subject: [Leica] Image criteria - a Luddite view
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:40:13 -0500

Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

I notice that technical quality of a picture comes pretty far down on all
the lists of image criteria discussed so far.
<<<

When comparing two photos of (arguably) similar emotional impact, the one
with better technical quality will be used instead of the one with weaker
technical quality.  It's one of the variables involved in picture quality,
and it's one I have some control over.  I don't always have control over
the more important factors but when these all come together I don't want to
be let down by weak color, muddy shadows, weak detail, chromatic
abberation, or flare.

Several of my prints are bigger than the computer monitor, sometimes with
cropping, and the image quality standard for a monitor is nowhere near the
standard for a print - and several people have commented on the difference
in quality just from web-sized jpg files when comparing photos I've made
with Leica APO lenses and photos I've made with other-brand lenses.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft?