Subject: [Leica] What are the most important aspects of a photographic image ?
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 19:14:18 -0600

It might conceivably still have some use in the digital age.  I
calculated the DOF for 35mm full-frame with a 50mm f/1.0 lens and the
subject at five feet, and it came out to a near limit of 4.91 feet and a
far limit of 5.09 feet.  I guess there you just go for the eyes and hope
they're not too big.  That was with a circle of confusion of .03mm.
Don't know how these calculations relate to those marked on the lens.
For 35mm the COC used is .03mm and I remember it being considerably
smaller for LF.  This is probably because the 35mm lenses are sharper
than the LF lenses.  I think.
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Ken