Subject: [Leica] IMG: First photograph made in 2011
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:51:59 -0600

Thanks for taking a peek Ted;
and for your kind comments.

On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:26 PM, tedgrant at shaw.ca wrote:

> But yours have a smoother look to the whole image..   Do you just switch
> to grey scale in Photoshop as a straight colour removal?

I do the majority of my simple conversions in Lightroom 3.3 (camera RAW 6.3).
First adjustment - simple switch to black and white.
Then possibly adjustment of: exposure, recovery, fill light, and black to
get a feel for what I have.
Then fine tuning in: Curves to suit taste
Possibly (especially with skin tones, or other important values) adjustment
of "colors" in: Black and White Mix
Then sharpening (or not)
Then noise reduction (if necessary or desired)
Recently I've been playing a bit with the grain adjustment in LR 3.
This particular example does have a very minute (barely perceptible) grain
addition.

> An interesting  point about your ladies photo is, if this were two guys
> they'd probably be watching the football game on the background wall TV.
> :-)

This appeared to be a 3 generation lunch.
Unfortunately the elder, whose coat appears on the left stool, never showed
her face;
and for some reason the "photo" seemed to appear when (what I assume to be)
mother and daughter were left alone.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com