Subject: [Leica] "Doctors' Work" by Ted Grant TED's COMMENT!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:48:13 -0800

John Lee offered:
Subject: [Leica] "Doctors' Work" by Ted Grant

> To the LUG,
> Here is a great opportunity to obtain an inexpensive copy of Ted
> Grant's "Doctors' Work: The Legacy of Sir William Osler." The price is
> $20.00, tax included, cash and carry only, from the Leica Gallery, 670
> Broadway, New York, NY, 212-777-3051, leicaphoto at aol.com.

Hi John,
Thanks for the heads up on my book. 2nd edition. I didn't know the Leica
Gallery even had copies and certainly for $20 dollars a copy it's a give
away price! WHY? Well the original price was $50.oo per copy of the second
edition. There were two first edition versions rarely ound today.

One was hand bound leather numbered and signed by the author, me. $250.00
per copy, coffee table size 14.5" X 14.5"! 500 copies sold in a flash
through the publisher. Then the second version were regular dust jacket
copies that sold for $119.00, again through the publisher and the American
College of Physicians.  Around 5000 copies.

The photography for the book took me roughly 10 years on again off again
between regular assigned work. I paid all the costs, film, processing,
printing and travel across the country. One might say quite a lay out of
earned income from the assigned projects.

Right about now many of you are thinking.... "WOW! Nice royalty cheque out
of that? Right? NOPE NOT A DIME!:-(
The publisher put themselves into receivership and disappeared with every
penny! So a word to the wise if you are doing a book.......... make sure
your publisher isn't a crook! By the way my royalties for copies sold?.. If
I collected? Would've been $40,000 USD as I was listed in the receivership
paper work. Oh well that's life. Get over it and move on.

The copies from the Leica Gallery were published by a second publisher,
FIREFLY BOOKS in Canada. Unfortunately another bad choice of publisher!
:-( But did receive a few dollars worth of royalty. The copies sold by Leica
are what's referred to in the publishing world as "Remainder Copies." That
means Firefly idn't see as many as they thought they would of the 5000
copies and had a bunch left oer..."CALL IT DAMN POOR MARKETING ON THEIR
PART!"  I don't get a penny from them either. Get over it, move on!

Seeing how our LUG YEAR book is done so easily don't be disillusioned that's
how big name publishers produce them.

On occasion I find a remainder block of copies & I purchase. Now remember I
already paid for all the photo materials and hundreds of basically "FINE ART
QUALITY 11X14 PRINTS for book reproductions!" This isn't just a photo book!
When I manage to find copies on remainder I buy them, sign them to whomever
purchases a copy from me and supply a 5 page "Photographers Supplement"
explaining the details for each picture and the reason why the picture was
taken, the light and many other details. And make an open offer, "if they
e-mail me with questions about any of the photographs I will respond!"
By the way that's an open offer to all LUG members who have copies of the
book!
.... HOW MANY PHOTO BOOKS DO YOU FIND WITH THAT KIND OF OFFER?

So if you can pick-up a copy from the Leica Gallery at $20.00 man you have a
bargain big time.

An excellent bargain at that price if the purchaser is an avid Leica User or
a very keen photographer interested in B&W photography. The medical scene
around the country, no blood and guts, but about the people who look after
us when we get bone broke or whatever! :-) And obviously all B&W available
light, " if you can  see it, you can shoot it" Leica photography! ;-)

And I bet Leica don't give you a copy of the "PHOTOGRAPHER'S SUPPLEMENT?"
That was one of the best things about the book other than what many have
said about the .... "smashing great photography by a one eyed Leica
photojournalist!" :-)

Oh well the next book?  Go BLURB! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted.