Subject: [Leica] Dave's PAW (*) 2011 #2 (to Philippe)
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:21:17 -0600

>> Thanks for kind comment once again. I must say I'm wondering if it's
> >time to try something else for awhile. Something in color? Something
>> other than street photography? But I always ask, what?

>I don't know for myself either :-)
>In fact, I am attracted by all of the above, plus architecture,
>fuzzillogics, macro photography, etc :-)
>
>Yet, I've just perused your PAWs and since you started, I notice that
>you have worked by periods, as it is said of painters. 2008 brought
>abstracts, colours and slants ;-), 2009 was BW exclusively, with lots
>of people, some posing I think.
>
>The trend I see is that you are progressively developing your very own
>so personal style, and I think I could spot your work out of a
>thousand; you have an eye, a style, and the technique that goes with
>them. Really good on you!
>
>I wish I could achieve that some day ...
>
>Your question is about new grounds, I think you'll find them by
>yourself. The worst would be to just stop evolving and falling into
>endless repeats.
>
>I'm sure you will avoid these traps.
>Just trust you feelings (coloured or BWed) for views and/or decisive
>moments :-)
>
>Oh yes, nearly forgot, a major tend in your work is to make people
>look more and more like people ..., I mean, even their localisation/
>nationality/culture become blurred into a kind of timeless universal,
>and I find it the most striking feature of your positive evolution.
>
>But who am I to ... ;-)

Philippe --

Well, you are a very experienced viewer of photography and I have had
you in mind for years as I have posted PAW after PAW. Your early
encouragement was very important.

Your evaluation of my development as a photographer is very interesting
and valuable to me. I don't want to spill the beans too early to spoil
things so I'll just say that a certain Magnum Photos photographer has
taken an interest in my b&w photography and we have taken the first
step toward a possible book. Obviously this is a very exciting step for
me.

Your point about the avoiding traps of "new" directions is very well taken.
I agree that whatever this new direction may be, if any, has to be organic
and natural. Switching to color not other reason then just because it is
different is probably not the best idea.

Frankly, I have a particular dislike for street photography in color. Very
little of it appeals to me, even that from some the masters. This is
something that I need to pay very close attention to.

I wonder if other photographers are consciously aware of "their style". If
you asked me what mine was, what about my pictures made that stand
out for you, I'm not sure that I could come up with a satisfactory answer.

But, once again, I am highly energized by your praise and greatly
appreciative.

Thank you, very much.
.
Dave.