Subject: [Leica] Vedanthangal
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:25:32 +0530

Last Sunday I was at Vedanthangal, a bird sanctuary close to Chennai. This
is basically a very large village pond which has acted as a breeding ground
for migratory birds for centuries - it is known to have been actively
protected by the local people for over 300 years. The British actually
forced to notify it as protected area in the late 18th century, on
complaints by the villagers, because of indiscriminate shooting of birds by
their own soldiers. It is a shining example of conservation that can be
achieved if the local inhabitants believe in the cause - in this case driven
mainly the value of the bird guano as a fertilizer.

I went there to try and improve my admittedly shaky technique for shooting
birds in flight. All shots taken the Nikon D700 with a fairly ancient lens,
the 180mm f2.8, with a 2x Kenko teleconverter attached, not the fastest
focusing combination possible, but lightweight! Most of the photographs were
taken from a two story high viewing gallery. Please see the photographs
large.

Painted Storks in flight:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Vedbirds/Vedanthangal_20110116_0381-Edit.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Vedbirds/Vedanthangal_20110116_0394-Edit.jpg.html

Composites - I also experimented with composites - blending two shots, one
of the daytime moon and one of birds, into a final result - I would like
honest feedback on the results:

#1 -
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Vedbirds/Vedanthangal_20110116_0269-Edit.jpg.html

#2 -