Subject: [Leica] Marina Beach
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:17:57 +0100

Le 26 janv. 11 ? 05:19, Jayanand Govindaraj a ?crit :

> Philippe, Tina, Bob, Ric, Jim, Michiel and Alastair,
>
> Thanks for looking. Philippe it is good to see you have not
> forgotten your
> Hindi!

Google translation helps ...

> A few things - I deliberately processed 'Cop' and 'Coast Guard' as
> you see
> it to approximate what I was seeing at that time - the first as
> black with
> small details where the setting sun was hitting him, the second as
> high
> contrast. There is detail in both the RAW files, and can be brought
> out.

If you do can you let us see?

> When you expect a quarter of million people to turn up, you need a
> lot of
> policemen around - but when they do not turn up it looks excessive.
> The main
> reason for the low attendance was it was a Monday, and a working
> day. I
> believe the big crowds had turned up on Sunday. Water access was not
> allowed
> because it is impossible to manage such a crowd at water's edge,
> especially
> as the shelf falls away very steeply here, and currents are wicked,
> and
> accidental drownings are not rare events. You will see very few people
> attempting to swim in the sea on the East Coast of India - the West
> Coast is
> where all the famous beaches and placid seas are.

Thanks for the explanation, I hadn't thought of this ... I must be
missing the sunshine more than I had thought then ...

> I am at present debating whether I should get a normal range zoom in
> lieu of
> primes from 24 to 85mm, as Nikon do have a very fine one, the 24-70
> f2.8,
> but the weight keeps putting me off from buying it!

 From what I've seen it still offers a fair amount of distortion,
perceptible through the VF, I wonder how much correction can
(tolerably) be applied.

Weight : I bought a harness a couple of years ago when I bought the
hefty Oly 50-200;
I've never used it, but this might change with my bad back now;
anyway you feel like you were about to put your petticoat on once you
have it on ...

Amiti?s
Philippe