Subject: [Leica] Ten most expensive photographs
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:19:52 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 2/10/11, Peter Cheyne <geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> <www.worldinterestingfacts.com/art/top-10-most-expensive-photos-in-the-world-ever-sold.html>
>
> I am baffled how number 1 reached that price.
>
> Interesting that a photo by Mevedev sold for $1.75M.

With "art" markets and museum bidders you just never know about one-offs and
such.  Prestige can be much more important than actual value.  Watched a
couple of museum guys run the prices on some classic autos WAY out of
rational a few years back... and neither really wanted the cars, they just
wanted to make sure the OTHER guy didn't get them.  Hammer fever can be a
fun spectator sport.

I suspect the price on that Medvedev piece had more to do with politics than
the value or rarity of the image.

The Gursky...  Well.  Do Not Get This.  Just don't get.

(I had no problems with redirects, Firefox on Linux, but I have Noscript and
adblock running and buttoned down VERY tight, with cookies and all redirect
stuff blocked, and looking at the blocked-script listing is STILL scary.  I
wouldn't recommend anyone go there unless you're well protected; that page
has a lot of nasty ugly stuff hidden underneath.)

R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Ten most expensive photographs)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Ten most expensive photographs)