Subject: [Leica] When did Kodachrome really die?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:08:36 -0500

The film was commonly used buy people doing clothing catalog work and others
for basic commercial work where 35mm was required.
It was a sole reason for many of  catalog log and fashion shooters to be
owning a 35mm format camera in the first place. Many of whom would not dream
of using any other film with it.
Not Fuji. Not Panatomic X. not Tmax. They otherwise thought of 35mm cameras
made by anybody to be toys.
And plenty of those catalogs had clothing in it which was gray or white and
there was no magenta cast which could not be gotten rid of.
The main complainers were the landscape photographers complaining about a
magenta cast you'd see in the clouds at high noon even and again that was
mainly with the ASA 25 a lot of people felt it wasn't there with the 64.
Before the pro version came out  you'd buy a brick and it would shift in age
from magenta to green so if you'd get it from a pro shop like I did you
could bring the whole thing back if it was too young or too old and get a
more copasetic emulsion batch.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com