Subject: [Leica] Camera insurance problem
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 23:59:47 +0900

Because Leica Tokyo quoted me 195,000 yen to repair my M7, while Don
Goldberg estimates $185, I have decided to send my camera from Japan
to Oregon for repair.

Having ones own camera returned from foreign repair makes it liable to
be taxed as a brand new item on import.  Last time I did that, I was
stung for about $400 for my Solms-returned M8.  Japan tax & customs
folks wanted even more, but someone where I work very kindly argued
the case with them for me.

Don Goldberg suggests I send my camera to him insured for just $100,
and he return it to me by EMS, also insured for $100.  He never had a
problem before, he said, with that, and it is what he says most
customers choose.  However, it worries me!

Does anyone have any advice to get my M7 insured independently of the
Post Office to cover it for a couple of months or so while it is out
of my hands?

(The post lost 6 rolls of Kodachrome that never made it to Dwayne's a
couple of years ago, and I've never enjoyed sending things in the post
since!)

Peter Cheyne