Subject: [Leica] IMG: High Wire
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:16:27 -0800

Jim Nichols offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: High Wire
> I wanted to see if the Leica Telyt-R 250/4 could be hand held and  get any
> sort of a decent image.  It's a little shaky, but it can be  done.  This
> is something I might try to use for airshow images.   Here is a backyard
> example.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/High+Wires.jpg.html <<<<

Hi Jim,
Good on you! Well done given you've only had a long lens in hand a day or
two.

Practice makes perfect, so the more you hand hold and learn just how to
brace your body and breathing, without thinking about it, the better you'll
become. I use the 280mm 2.8 that is heavier and always used it hand held
with the pistol grip and shoulder brace until I unfortunately injured my
right shoulder on a parachute jump celebrating my 65th birthday. So now I
have to work with a monopod all the time. Pain in the, I was going to say
"ass!" But that isn't where the pain is when I try to hand hold. :-)

Using the LEICA 1.4 and 2X extenders is great, individually or both at the
same time! On the 280 with both it becomes an 800mm f8.0 lens and you can
still hand hold. :-) Much easier of course using the monopod and I shoot
most of the time wide open or a stop down when using the extenders because
you lose a stop or two. But the images will still make you smile!

Now with your long lens it'll open a whole new world of photography for
you.. And while I think of it, see if you can find a Leica macro adaptor and
put that on between the 250 lens and camera body. You wont believe your eyes
when you shoot Close-ups ! :-)

Have fun and keep shooting those birds. OOPS! I mean keep snapping those
birds! ;-)

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: High Wire)