Subject: [Leica] M8 & 8.2 opinions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:58:33 -0500

Very few cameras in the history of photography have anything resembling
water sealing. I member when the Pentax LX came out it in 1980 was the only
camera system in photography professional  or otherwise that was sealed.
That was its main selling point.  I knew a guy who got one.
As it turned out people who bought into the system found out that it cost
hundreds of bucks just to get a simple oil change.  It took an hour for the
repair person guy to just get the thing open with all kinds of complex seals
(Arf!).  And there were condensation issues. As it turns out a camera may
just need to breath. Any moisture that does make it in there needs a way to
get out. This whole panic on "I just spend thousands on a camera and if it
gets wet it may break" thing is a LUG exclusive. In the outer world it is a
controversy your just not going to run into.

One notable camera system used extensively for the most serious of jobs
was/is the Hasselblad system. It was modular. And because it was  modular
with attachments from all directions it was even less sealed even than a
Canon F1 or Nikon F3 or Leica M4 - by a long shot. Nobody had ever been
known to have a problem with that or complain. They just used the camera day
in and day out. If it rained somebody got out an umbrella. I put mine under
the lapel of my jacket.

I used to bring mine to Canon Beach Oregon replacing the crank with the
meter winder thing I got for 40 bucks in a swap meet. Once it flew out of my
hands and bounced down the sandy sidewalk. The lens hood had to be replaced
other than that it continues to work perfectly. Has never been to the shop.
I  never had a camera I didn't bring to the beach.
But I never had to spend seven grand on a camera either.  Nor half that. Nor
half that that. A camera with a backup I'll bring anywhere. No backup I walk
down lit streets with trepidation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_LX

--------------------
Mark William Rabiner

> From: Marty Deveney <benedenia at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:37:43 +1030
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 & 8.2 opinions
>
> All Leica M cameras are sieves.  None of them have anything
> approaching weather sealing.  I've had water get into a film M that
> formed a sufficient contact layer between the film and pressure plate
> that it seized up, and I am careful with my M8 around water, although
> I have put it into an Ewa marine bag and taken it under water.  Dust
> is worse, and I needed to get all the Ms I took with me serviced after
> being in Namibia for a couple of weeks.  Design wise it's their chief
> weakness; otherwise they're about as tough as any camera.
>
> Marty
>

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
> wrote:
>> Right Goeff, but none of those other hazards were relevant, and indeed we
>> were cycling on a wide paved promenade, not in the sand. When I have
>> posted
>> pictures from the beach itself, they have been taken with the Panasonic
>> LX3--that's my beach camera.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nathan
>>
>> Nathan Wajsman
>> Alicante, Spain
>> http://www.frozenlight.eu
>> http://www.greatpix.eu
>> http://www.nathanfoto.com
>> Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog
>>
>> YNWA
>>

>> On Feb 20, 2011, at 3:21 AM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
>>
>>> Fair to add that cycling along the beach (although I'm sure that Nathan
>>> meant on the beachside roads, not in the sand at the water's edge!) can
>>> expose any camera to other significant hazards apart from that healthful
>>> sweat!. ?Salt atmosphere, blown fine sand and possibly droplets of
>>> coconut
>>> oil from bikini clad beach goers, if not foam from Estrella beer and not
>>> mention air-borne beach umbrellas and annoyed boyfriends.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff