Subject: [Leica] A short walk from my house/Exposures V digi
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:31:59 -0800

After reading several posts about film / digi-frame use of which one post
was mine, I thought I should clarify my point re: "more or less number of
frames used film to digital era.?"

What I said: ...>>> DIGITAL ERA: Regardless of whomever, we all shoot far
more frames with digital than we ever did on film. Does this make us better
photographers? NOPE! Just means we shoot more frames and throw more away
after looking on screen and asking ourselves the same old question?..."WHAT
THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?"<

This extra shooting means, when something catches our eye today with digital
we are far more inclined to make an exposure simply because it caught our
eye, so we shoot it. No extra costs involved. ERGO: we tend to shoot it
simply because it caught our eye. But with film, even though "something
caught our eye, unless it was something super smashing, we'd look at film
counter to find we had 3 frames left? OOPS! Naw it's not that good with only
three frames left forget it. And we move on.

Quite frankly I rarely if ever had concerns about how much film I was using
during my documentaries or photo stories.  I just shot everything that
turned me on or caught my eye in regard to what  "photographically told the
story I was illustrating or documenting."

Although there were times when "a shortage of film created great degrees of
anxiety!" :-( But my main reason is.... "We only had 36 frames ... therefore
we paid more attention to seeing the moment before tripping the shutter to
capture the moment." Besides we had to buy film and that always was a cost
factor to make us take our time, look harder, see the moment, CLICK!
Digital? Hardly a thought. click!

But there was always a feeling of... "You had to change film every 36
exposures, therefore one kept a sharp eye on "how many frames were left on a
roll, whether I was using one Leica or carrying 5 at a time!"

With digital I still never relate to how many frames are exposed. That
doesn't mean I stand there and " MACHINE GUN THE SCENE!"

HOWEVER! Amateurs and many of the new to the world of photography digital
"exposure makers!"   ....... NOTICE !  I did not use the word
photographer's! But it's the way they've learned or been taught how to use
motor driven digi cameras and digital isn't like film. So they are
taught............ "READY?"

Shoot lots because it doesn't cost anything the more you take! So shoot away
like crazy! Then you're sure to get one that works!   "WE" all know that
does not work!  "NEVER HAPPENS!" The chances are you'll still miss the
ultimate perfect moment because the "ART OF OBSERVATION!" in your minds eye
is turned off or they never learned to see the ultimate moment because they
just.... "Press here and twenty frames in a split second and you pick out a
good one off the computer screen!"  "ONCE AGAIN.......... NEVER HAPPENS! "

Hopefully I'm not making this more confusing.... maybe one of those topics
with a beer and the crew chatting it up! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted

Message from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] A short walk from my house/Exposures)