Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Action at the Feeders
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:03:36 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Jim Nichols wrote:

At present, I do not have a shooting "blind", so I'm 12-15 meters from the
action
<<<

My blind is made from PVC pipe and canvas, with a few zippers at what I
thought would be perfect locations (turned out not to be so).  Here are a
couple of photos from the last few days in the blind, 2.5 meters away:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/wcspar06.html
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/wcspar07.html

both: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, tripod, blind, no crop.

IMHO the feeder is a great place to use a blind because you have a pretty
good idea where the birds are going to be and how close they'll be.  Spend
enough time watching and you'll learn which birds prefer which perches, and
you can adjust the position of your blind accordingly.  When I first started
watching these birds a few days ago the White-crowned Sparrows' favorite
perch was obscured by a tree trunk.  I gradually shifted the blind's
position to get a clear view of the perch.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: More Action at the Feeders)