Subject: [Leica] IMG: Working Closer
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:34:22 -0500

Dr. Ted wrote:

Jim Nichols showed:

> I tried moving closer to the bird
> feeders today.  Without a blind, at 13 ft, the birds let me know I was
too
> close.  I moved back to about 18 ft, and the bolder ones decided to give
> it a try.
>
> One image of the "scout" at 13 ft:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Male+Purple+Finch+71.jpg.html
>
> Two others, from about 18 ft:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Female+Finch+86.jpg.html
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cardinal+04.jpg.html

Hey Jim,
Good on you lad!!! No problems with these.

Doug Herr can give you far better advice than I on these.

But for what mine is worth when shooting in our National Parks. I'd spend
some more time at the 18ft mark for a few days and establish your presence
until they become accustomed to your figure.

And if it appears they are coming in regularly without being spooked, then
I'd gently move into the closer mark when none of them are around and wait.

They might get spooked at first, but by then the regulars will be some what
accustomed to your size and gear and probably give you the opportunities
for
larger images?

So over to you Doug Herr, good Sir? :-)
<<<

Yup that's the trick :)  Also avoid staring at the birds (predators lock
their gaze on their intended meal) and don't be afraid of making little
noises or fiddling with the camera (predators are silent).  I'll look at
your photos tonight at home.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft?

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Working Closer)