Subject: [Leica] IMG:The Odd Couple
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 22:50:59 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011  "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols at lighttube.net>wrote:

>Alan,

>The info you provided says the large one is f/5, but the engraving says
>f/3.5.  Which is correct?  Looks like a great lens.
=====================================================================================================
I have this lens on a shelf at the office, so I'll investigate on Monday.
When I last looked under room lighting, it read f/5.  I'm guessing that
possibly there is a faint f/3.5 engraving there that only showed up under
the studio conditions.  Maybe the same size ring was used for various
lenses, and they blacked out whichever f number didn't apply.

I was only able to make two exposures with this lens.  Years ago I borrowed
an 8x10 camera and shot two sheets of RC paper just to get an idea of its
rendering (I couldn't afford to buy a box of 8x10 film).  Your testing of
that old lens got me motivated to shoot some 4x5 with some of my odd-ball
lenses.  This weekend I'm going to take some shots with a 12.5 cm. f/2 Xenon
on my Speed Graphic.  I always wondered what this came from, and Thursday
found out via google: <http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/GXN.htm>.
The lens alone is a real heavyweight; that camera must have been a handful.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu