Subject: [Leica] IMGS: check out Keith Wessel's photographs
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:23:29 -0500

The cobb-douglas functional form is one of the neater things i learned
in economics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb-Douglas

labor and capital are the two inputs in all of the models, sometimes
land is added as the third factor.

the two or three input factors have exponents less than one, which means
that increases will yield marginally smaller improvements to total
production.

the get out of jail card is the total factor productivity term (TFP)
which is associated with innovation, technology and so on.  there are no
limitations to the growth of TFP unlike the other inputs.

the formulation of TFP within cobb-douglas is an illustration that
economics is not the shuffling of resources from one person to
another--value really does get created along the way.

-rei