Subject: [Leica] IMG: Blackwater Twilight
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:59:09 -0700

Barney Quinn showed the cropped version:
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: Blackwater Twilight

 > thank you for your advice and thank you both for taking the time to
> look at my picture and to give me some very sensible advice about it.  I
> agree with your comments. Having two centers of interest in a  photograph
> is asking for trouble. It doesn't work.
>
> Here is the original.......
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Barney/Blackwater+twilight.jpg.html
>
> Here is the edited version as per Dr. Ted and Jim......
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Barney/Blsckwater_Twilight_3.jpg.html
>
> What do you think? which do your prefer?

Hi Barney,
Obviously "my vote" is for the cropped version eliminating the glaring
distracting sunlight allowing the viewer to concentrate on what the photo
is... "birds with colored sky and water."

If anything as we look at the cropped scene on screen, I might even crop
about a 1/4 inch off the bottom! OK now that's my eye at the moment. If it
were my shot I would do it just to see how it looked in what I think might
be a better balanced feel in print! ??? Sometimes we kind of eyeball a scene
and make a direct and fixed crop decision and decide "that's it!" DONE!

Sometimes it's better to make a few cropped prints and put them side by each
for the final decision. Sometimes you find how wrong you were by making one
print as the final edit. You can look at this one almost until yer blue in
the face without putting cropped versions side by side for the true quality
of what's there.

One thing for sure the full blown sun is definitely out! No matter how you
crop it and keeping the sun brilliance in blows the shot to the waste
basket! FILE 13!  Quite  frankly it's nothing but a blinding light as in the
same fashion if you were standing there looking at the scene!

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] IMG: Blackwater Twilight)
Message from bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn) ([Leica] IMG: Blackwater Twilight)