Subject: [Leica] Color resolution research
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:22:27 -0400

Your dog and your cat, in fact most animals, do not see colors in the same
way we do. A study conducted at the University of Pennsylvania suggests that
the complex scenery of the African savanna of 10 million years ago
influenced the pattern in which the human retina's red, green, and blue
light sensitive cone cells are arranged. Studies in other species suggest
that the color sensitive cells of the eye are arranged in a manner which
extracts the maximum amount of information from the animal's environment.
Based of an analysis of 5000 photos taken in the area where humans likely
evolved, the researchers predicted the arrangement of cells in our retinas.
It turned out to match the actual distribution of color sensitive cells
found in contemporary human eyes. The research, reported in the Mar. 4 issue
of

Science, offers clues to the improvement of machine vision and for the
design of color separation filters (Bayer filters) for digital cameras. A
preprint of the study is available at:

http://scim.ag/eyes-evolve

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Color resolution research)