Subject: [Leica] Blog: Kiss Me Kate
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:52:13 -0700

Richard:  A fabulous job!  I think many professional productions would
kill for photos of this quality. What a treat!  The kids look great,
very much in period style, and the gals who play Kate and Bianca appear
to be exceptionally talented.

I love this show, and I did it in high school.  So I had to look at the
larger set at
<http://www.rfman.com/Events/Kiss-Me-Kate-2011/16251767_3bmJJ#1220866943_xYvUG>

It looks like the production was reasonably well lit.  I'm curious what
ISO and lens you used, and what were the usual shutter speeds and apertures?

Jayanand, doing a musical is a high school tradition in the U.S.  And
I'm certain you get more kids participating and doing better--not to
mention a bigger audience--with Kiss Me Kate than with the original
Shakespeare.  This show is a classic of American musical theater.  Cole
Porter, who previously had written shows with very flimsy plots and
great songs, decided he needed to write a "book musical" like Rodgers
and Hammerstein. So he did, with book, music and lyrics superbly
integrated.  But of course, he's still Cole Porter, so the songs are
often jazzy and sometimes edgy (for 1948).  Some had to be a little
bowdlerized for the movie and when done on TV.

"When she says your behavior is heinous
Kick her right in the Coriolanus.
Brush up your Shakespeare
And they'll all kow tow."