Subject: [Leica] New portrait of my son added today
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 02:27:42 -0400

Nathan and Ted,

The Zeiss ZM 50mm f1.5 C-Sonnar is well known to suffer from a pretty severe
focus shift as you stop down. The point of sharpness moves back as you stop
down.

Zeiss originally sold them with the focus cam set so that focus, as seen
through your camera's rangefinder, was correct when the lens was set at
f2.8. At smaller apertures, depth of field was enough that the shift didn't
keep the focused subject from being sharp, but at f1.5 and f2 the lens would
front focus (quite a bit at f1.5).

People complained that the lens wasn't sharp at f1.5, which is untrue. It IS
sharp at f1.5, IF the lens is adjusted to be in focus at f1.5, so later ones
were sold by Zeiss set for f1.5. This makes them unusable at smaller
apertures till you stop down quite a bit, from what I've seen online.

I know with mine, which is set for f2.8, the lens is not usable at f2 or
f1.5, which does not bother me as I wanted it for portraits and I never do
portraits wider than f2.8. Some of the people on rangefinderforum claim the
lens is perfectly fine at f1.5 with one set for 2.8, you just have to 'lean
in' a bit to compensate for the front focusing at wider apertures, but I
hate guessing-games like that. I need stuff that 'just works' so I use it at
the apertures it 'just works' at. F2.8 and below.

To reiterate, the focus shift is real, despite what some of the know-it-alls
online claim. For some reason some people think it makes them look smart to
claim that focus shift in some lens designs is an 'internet delusion',
despite Zeiss saying that the C-Sonnar does this, and despite the fact that
testing it is not hard and shows the shift to be there. I have tested my
lens extensively, and the shift is severe at f1.5 and at f2 its enough to
make the photo still look too soft. This lens is capable of being VERY sharp
when used correctly. I think mine is sharper in the senter at f2.8 than my
50mm tabbed Summicron, though the Summicron is a lot sharper in the corners
at that aperture. Stopped down a couple more stops, they're equally good
across the full frame.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography