Subject: [Leica] IMG: To Jacques Tati - Jayanand
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:21:21 +0100

Le 23 mars 11 ? 03:14, Jayanand Govindaraj a ?crit :

> Looks like a French version of Buster Keaton to me.

Not really IMHO - I wrote we miss the tension and eye

The link is a teaser (featuring the bike) and a collection of gags
that might attract audiences looking for "action movies" I'd say.
In my eyes the spirit and atmosphere are different; a caring eye,
precision photography and timing are the gist of it all.

Jour de F?te and Les Vacances de M. Hulot are the most famous here.

Playtime is a satire of "Americanism", i.e. the way some of my fellow
citizens awkwardly tried to copy the US  in their everyday life after
WWII, a caricature indeed, but 50 years on it still looks "well seen"
to me. The charge is not on the US, it is on French stupid followers'
ignorance.

I love this excerpt: street photography in motion or in the making -
all controlled and planned - the passing of cars and buses was timed,
and the nostalgia caused by the music, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblJAEvHpu8&NR=1

Amiti?s
Ph