Subject: [Leica] update: April show
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:07:09 -0400

I agree with Ted its a amazing feeling to do a gallery show and there is
lots of stuff you go through which you'd never think unless  you went
through it yourself when you've had a show. Or hung a show. Or printed a
show. Or framed a show.  Most of the above. I think most of it is figuring
out which images to have in the show. That's most the work right there.
Making that commitment. "this is my best work".
It's is like you say running a race and it is like a performing art. There
is in effect an "It's SHOWTIME" moment. A moment when they first walk in and
it all had better have come together.  As you say like the finish line.
Along the way there are moments when you think the whole thing is impossible
and never going to happen.  But in the end. You've hung the show. You'll
look back in hindsight and see things you should have done differently. Very
importantly its an opportunity to see my prints through other peoples eyes
giving myself a better perspective as to their real worth. That's how I look
at it at least. An experience to have you have my head turned completely
around.
Performing arts is supposed to be the opposite of graphic arts but like
everything - in the end its the same. Next show is going to be  just a bit
easier and ten shows down the line you're in a groove.
As I see it such stuff makes us better photographers. Makes us make better
pictures. Gives us better separation in our highlights.  Makes us healthy
wealthy and wise.
In the circle of workflow starting perhaps with the snap of the shutter its
the final thing which gets us back to the top, twelve o'clock again. The
showing.  And people who don't finish that circle are really out in left
field as to knowing what the the whole thing is all about - like you do.
Congrats!!. Not just on this show but on being an ongoing,  producing
photographic artist.

Mark William Rabiner