Subject: [Leica] My M8 is going back for service....
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:13:13 -0700

I have head the diffraction argument.   It is not diffraction limit effects.

The reason you use F11 ( or whatever) for testing is that it eliminates
focusing errors.  The reason I trust the results at F11 is that I get the
same results at F4, and the focusing errors are apparent at F4.

I have NEVER had an image that I thought was razor sharp on this camera.
Any Fstop, any lens ( I have several), any lighting, tripod or not.  While
on my M6TTL, they are all sharp, razor sharp, at F 11.

If it were diffraction limits. why is the lens diffraction limited in an M8
and not an M9?  Why is it that the lenses are diffraction limited on a
digital camera but not on a film camera?  Why have I not heard complaints
about the WATE or 50 ASPH Lux  being diffraction limited and producing lousy
images at F11?  Why have I heard nothing but favor about the M8 and the
Sharp Leica Glass while I am not pleased?  Even Puts sings praise about that
one 50mm lens and makes no claims that it has a diffraction limitation and
to use the lens at F4-5.6 only for best sharpness....

I have seen posted photos that are sharp from an M8.  Razor sharp.   The M8
CAN do it.  Actually, My wifes' Canon Supershot images are sharper than
mine....

I have seen what an M9 can do in the same circumstances.... using the same (
same serial number) lenses; on a tripod, under pretty ideal test
conditions..

I have had this camera for 18 months, and I have tried to convince myself it
was me, the lenses, the phase of the moon, poor technique, etc.

Something is wrong with this camera.

My warranty will run out in the next 6 months... last chance to have the
experts have a look at it and fix it without it costing me.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] My M8 is going back for service....)
Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] My M8 is going back for service....)