Subject: [Leica] It's been a good day.
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 00:17:08 -0700

First and foremost, I went to Bob Adler's exhibit and finally got to meet
him.
Although I had previously seen on the LUG most of the pictures he
displayed, seeing them in the flesh was a most intense experience
compared to seeing them on a computer screen.

Next, my long awaited Hong Kong Leica battery arrived.

Finally, being a nitpicker about details (the result of having been a
physicist followed by being a software engineer) I ordered "THe
Missing FAQ" by Victoria Brampton, not a how to do it, lets get
acquainted book about LR3, but a reference, which I hope will answer
silly questions like: "Why does changing the contrast in the panel
that includes brightness, etc., not modify the tone curve? What do
the sliders in noise reduction called "detail" and "contrast" do?

Now, since there appear to be at least three LUGers in Palo Alto and
vicinity, let me put in a plug for the Computer History Museum in
Mountain View. I have been a volunteer there since 2006 and became a
docent within a few months. The new $19 million exhibit which opened
this January is awesome. My regular schedule
is to help demonstrate the Babbage Difference Engine at 1 pm on
Saturdays, and on some Saturdays to give a forty-five minute tour at
2 pm.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org