Subject: [Leica] OT: Legendary lens
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 21:26:34 -0700

Only if it is the 50's or 60's..... and you like or can fit old shutters
onto the lens boards....

The last great lenses are the most recent Sironars ( Rodenstock) and Symmars
( Schneider) Nikkor and Fuji The last 2 are out of the LF lens making...)
.and all use modern Copal 0, 1, or 3  shutters.

To be honest, I have had my View Camera lenses for the past 30 years or
so.... and they are still selling for the same prices, used....

A 210/5.6 lens costs $300......  150's a bit less.....240, a bit more.....

The truth is that Ektars ( WF versions) had great coverage..... and are
cheap for what you get.  But if you want the best quality for a few bucks
more, stick with current ( or should I say recently) manufactured lenses
with the attendant better build quality and coatings.

For a 6x17 ( 179mm diagonal) camera, you would need the same image circle (
coverage) as a 4x5 ( 154mm diagonal) negative ( it is the center of the same
image circle, more or less....)  Lots of great lenses out there.....

Check this out for selection....
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

How about large format? Not that I will get into large format per se, but
the 617 Fotoman in theory can accept just about any large format lens. So
for example, Kodak Ektar 135 lens. Aren't they suppose to be really good
too?

Replies: Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OT: Legendary lens)