Subject: [Leica] Leica Japan stories
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 23:24:30 +0900

About three weeks ago I made a trip Tokyo.  While there I visited
Leica in Ginza, wanting to try the 24/1.4.  I asked an assistant if
they had the lens, he nodded, said yes in Japanese and went into the
back room.  I sat down and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  My
girlfriend decided to go out and buy cinema tickets as we had already
been waiting 15 minutes by then.  I waited ten minutes longer, then
asked the assistant if he had found a copy.  He said, "Oh, you can't
try it!"  I was so shocked and insulted that I just said goodbye and
left the store.  Being told they have it, then being ignored, reminded
me of a scene in The Pink Panther where someone asked Clouseau if he
knows the right time, and he replied, "Yes, thank you", and walked on.

Another irk.  Leica Japan quoted me ?180,000 to repair the shutter
speed problem on my M7 (warranty just expired).  Don Goldberg quoted
me $180.  He serviced it thoroughly, speedily and courteously, and
it's a gem again.  Before he received it, he guessed it needed a new
shutter dial contact assembly.  When he got it, his guess was
confirmed.  What on Earth did Leica Japan think to make a quote of
?180,000?  Maybe its their standard practice to replace the innards
and not use their nous, training, or experience to efficiently address
the actual fault.  I have been thinking to write a letter of complaint
about this to Leica Solms.  Do you think I should, or is it a bit much
and not really my place to do so?  Perhaps Leica Japan are onto a good
thing, and Japanese customers often uncritically pay what they are
quoted.

Peter Cheyne

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] Leica Japan stories)
Reply from gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Leica Japan stories)