Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Day Trip Ending on the Coast
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:37:23 -0700 (PDT)

Went out Friday just to practice and hoping to get some wildflowers in the
San
Miguel hills. Woke up at 4am and left the house at 5. Then I drove south on
Highway 101 for about 3 hours and headed east to look at what I thought
would be
hills covered in wildflowers. None, nada, zip...

So at about 10:30 I headed west to Fort Hunter Liggett, an old Army Reserve
base. I've been shooting there the past 5 or 6 years with no problem. I'd
even
gone off road following fresh tank tracks looking for venues. Steve Barbour
has
a photo of mine, Bass Lake, that was taken while off roading on the base. So
I've been waiting for the oak fields to spring forth with wildflowers, I
knew
this was my year! Sure enough, there were glorious patches that would make
fine
photographs.

So I parked on the side of the road, grabbed the Hassy and walked about 20
yards
into the field. As I'm futzing and setting up the shot, I hear something
that I
thought was a bull frog, as the filed was a bit mushy. I looked around for
the
frog nearby and didn't see one, so I went back to my camera. Then louder,
"SIR!"
and I turn around. Parked on the road was a Police car with a trooper, in
dark
glasses of course, who then told me to come out of the field. Long story
short,
I was "detained" for about a half an hour at the main gate and told photos
were
never allowed at the fort. Rather than get in an argument with a heavily
armed
man (who had 3 as heavily armed men standing nearby), I chatted him up and
asked
if he know where, off base, there might be some wildflowers. The guy then
proceeded to tell me every hill and dale within a 50 mile radius. Another 20
minutes has now passed.

I thank the gentleman very much, and just head down the to the coast. I was
fuming. Really sapped the joy right out of the day. I'd been dreaming about
those flowers in the filed with the mountains and puffy clouds for years and
finally the time had arrived. Not...
So here are the pics from the day, and not many wild flowers. I did manage
grab a shot of the scene I was trying to shoot before I was "disciplined."

Thanks for looking. C&C always appreciated,
Bob

www.rgaphoto.com/2011-04-22-DayTrip
 Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA