Subject: [Leica] Leica Japan stories
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:47:38 +0900

The lens story doesn't bother me so much, I just thought it was odd.
I thought what Geoff thinks, they wanted to leave it shrink-wrapped.
I visited the shop with my M9 and tested a couple of lenses on
display.  When I asked if they had the 24/1.4, in Japanese, with my
Japanese girlfriend at my side, it really should have been obvious
that I wanted to try it.  My girlfriend was as surprised as I was that
they left us to sit down and wait, with me waiting 25 minutes.  While
I waited, a customer visited with his S2.  He was annoyed that the AF
had a high-pitched whine, so he asked to try other copies.  They
provided one for him to test, explaining that noise is normal.

As to the quote for 180,000 yen, I want to tell Solms about that and
ask for clarification, and ask if they think it is reasonable.
However, complaining will probably have no positive effect, so I might
do as Alastair suggests: whinge quietly to myself and just use DAG in
future.  I don't mind paying twice as much for a repair done by Leica
Japan coming with a  one-year warranty, but ten times is too much.
Don Goldberg's repair included repairing the one defective part,
ordered from Leica as he had run out of stock, and "putting the camera
in good working order".

My experience at Leica Japan runs counter to my experience with the
Canon repair centres here.  They have kindly serviced items for me
that are over a month out of warranty.  Also my experience in big
camera stores and small, Aladdin's-cave-type stores have always been
enjoyable.