Subject: [Leica] 560MM leica lens
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 04:58:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Alastair Firkin wrote:

>Thank Doug, it was the weight v telephoto power which looked very
>attractive. That and the examples of the lens on your site.
>
>Cheers
>
>Alastair
>
>> Alastair Firkin wrote:
>>
>>>Which would you choose:
>>>the modular system 560mm f5.6 or
>>>the longer 560mm f6.8?
>>
>> Assuming you mean the 560mm f/5.6 for Televit... I chose the f/6.8 for its
>> light weight (for hiking and for hand-held photos), more options for
>> adding extension tubes, and better balance on a monopod.
>>
>> Doug Herr
>> Birdman of Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

The 560mm f/6.8 certainly has an excellent focal length / weight ratio.
It's also very sharp and produces rich color and shows very little flare.

A few drawbacks:

It's physically long
it doesn't balance well on a tripod unless your camera body is heavy
no modern convenience features
out-of-focus areas can show some color fringes

OTOH the light weight and ability to use it with the shoulder stock or
shoulder stock + monopod has meant long hikes with it are no drama.

http://wildlightphoto.com/560r68.html