Subject: [Leica] Another raptor photo op
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 10:41:31 -0700

Doug Herr SHOWED:

> On May 22 the California Foundation for Birds of Prey, a 501c3 non-profit
> organization, will hold its second (annual?) open house at 3580 Garden Bar
> Road, Lincoln California from 11AM to 2PM.  Munchies, live raptors on the
> fist, and a free-flight demonstration are on the schedule.
>
> At last year's open house the free-flight demonstration featured Webster,
> a captive-bred hybrid Lanner/Saker ("Laker") Falcon:
>
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/L1390606.jpg
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/L1390636.jpg
>
> Webster puts on quite a show including buzzing the crowd inches above
> their heads, or even flying between spectators, at falcon speeds.<<<<<<<

Hi Doug,
Each time you post your magnificent photographs of the "birds of Prey"
illustrating their beauty whether in flight or at rest. Its unimaginable why
people shoot them for sport! :-( I suppose some of the "hunting type birds"
that continually raid a farmers chicken flock need to be taken down if they
are ravaging a flock. That I can understand. However to just have gun and go
out and kill them in the name of sport shooting is absolutely deplorable!

Given the beauty of the birds. And yes I'm the first to admit when a kid on
the farm we shot quite a number of pigeons hat constantly nested in the
barns and out buildings. Huge flocks and one must say it required a cull
every once and awhile.

The old farmer I spent my summer school holiday working for several months
with his mother, she would make an incredible pigeon crunchy crust deep pie
that none of the hired hands ever complained about.

They were a "food item" and a fair game. As apposed to just killing for the
sake of killing. Certainly a major travesty to say the least of  beautiful
birds of prey.

cheers,
ted